Even though many schools are going back to in-person learning, online schooling has picked up the pace during the Covid 19 pandemic. Consequently, the growth has led to emerging interests in the online tutoring market. Studies have projected that the online tutoring market will grow by more than 16 billion USD by 2025 in the US.
In this regard, many individuals are offering themselves as online tutors. On the other hand, many students appreciate the value of online tutors hence are seeking more of their services. If you are in the search for online teaching English jobs, you can check out the prominent online education platform, Preply, offering a wide range of job opportunities for tutors.
What Is The Current Market Profile?
The online tutoring market is hugely diverse and fragmented. It comprises several big companies that offer well-established courses. It also has smaller companies owned by individuals providing their own tutoring services.
Currently, there are two main categories of the online tutoring market:
- Structured online tutoring – this requires real-time interaction between tutors and their students.
- On-demand tutoring – this category offers a personalized platform that helps students to progress based on their ability.
A study conducted in 2019 valued the online tutoring market at around 4.8 billion USD globally. In the study, North America was the more dominant region as it accounted for over 35% of the global market share. The region’s dominance was attributed to the availability of a massive customer base and well-established providers.
What about Growth Projections?
The US online tutoring market is regarded as the biggest globally. According to research, in 2021 alone, the online tutoring market in the US is expected to grow by an 11.6% compound annual growth rate (CAGR). Additionally, industry experts further project that the growth will accelerate to more than 12% between 2021 and 2026. This growth will translate to incremental growth of up to 16.45 billion USD.
The global online tutoring market will also record a similar level of growth. According to expert analysis, the worldwide online tutoring market will grow from 150 billion USD in 2020 to almost 280 billion USD by 2026. This growth will tally a CAGR of 10.82% between 2021 and 2027.
Factors behind the Growth
Several factors are believed to be behind the growth of the online tutoring market in the US. For instance, experts believe that the escalation of tutoring support for test preparation services has played a significant role in the industry’s growth. According to the experts, these services offer massive growth opportunities for the industry.
Several reports claim that the sudden increase in tutoring services for students preparing for tests has been instrumental in driving the market’s growth. Moreover, the flexibility that you cannot ignore online tutoring services present to both students and tutors.
Additionally, education experts have a general consensus that the COVID-19 pandemic has also contributed significantly to the industry’s growth. This is because of the lack of in-person learning, which has forced many students to look for private tutors, which is another section of online tutoring fueling the industry’s growth.
Who Are The Major Players?
As mentioned earlier, the online tutoring market in the US is highly fragmented. Moreover, it is expected that the degree of fragmentation will accelerate in the foreseeable future. Studies show that individuals will play a vital role in the market’s future. However, big corporations are also expected to continue their influence in the industry.
What Are the Popular Online Tutoring Jobs in the US
Since the online tutoring industry is on an upward trend, it is not very difficult to break into. It doesn’t matter whether you are an experienced tutor or you are just getting started; there is a job that fits your level of expertise. Here are the most popular online tutoring jobs in the US:
- College student tutors – here, tutors help college students on an array of subjects. You’ll mostly find one-on-one classes customized as per students’ needs.
- High School Test Prep tutors – these online tutoring jobs focus only on test preparation. You’ll offer your services to help students prepare for specific tests such as SAT prep, school math, or ACT prep.
- Language tutoring – these are tutoring gigs for multilingual individuals. If you have a good command of more than one language, you can offer your services as a language tutor.
- English Tutoring – in case you didn’t know, English is the most spoken language in the world. It is also the dominant language on the internet. In this regard, there are millions of people looking to learn the language. This is music to the ears of teachers of English. Moreover, if you have a good command of the English language, you can apply for online English teaching jobs.
- One-Off Help – this is the best for new online tutors. These jobs don’t pair you up with a student for one-on-one tutoring. Instead, you select a problem, quote your rates and turnaround time. However, it would help if you were careful so as to find genuine students and not those looking for someone to do their assignments for them.
It is apparent that the online tutoring industry is on the rise both globally and in the US. If you are talented in a particular subject, you can take advantage of the emerging opportunities by offering your services as an online tutor.